Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Miami and Erie canal

Belle of St Marys, wish I knew what the horses name is.
No water in this lock, this is the locl in St Marys.

Be sure and double click on these plaques so you can read them easier. This little map across the top of this plaque explains why we needed the canal and the locks. If you know us personally you will know we have a soft spot for the canals. Especially the one town of Lockington. They had 5 locks in this little town and also the biggest one, It was known as the "Big Lock". It had the biggest lift.
When I was a kid we lived right next to the canal. I'm going to bore you with a story. Our driveway was on a little hill, I was playing in the car. Mother called me and when I got out of the car and slammed the door the car rolled down the bank into the canal (no water, Praise the Lord). Well the people in the grocery store (my Dad and Mother had in the front of our home) all came running they knew I was under the car and they were worried. Well they didn't worry long when somebody saw me on the bank looking on. Do I need to tell you the rest of the story, I don't remeber who gave it to me but it was either Dad or Mom.
Another time a neighbor kid almost drowned in the canal, he was short for his age and had on a heavy fur coat. There were no sides or rails on the culvert, the wind blew him in, the coat soaked up water and pulled him under but they got him out. He didn't get spanked for standing so close to the edge.
Lockington used to be called Lockport or Locksport, don't know when they changed it.
An old man used to tell how the kids would ice skate to Ft Loramie, have a big bonfire (party) and skate back home. Lockington has a big basin there beside the one lock where the boats would wait to get thru the locks. Or they could get repairs there too if needed. If you are a canal buff then you will appreciate our feelings for the locks. They are starting to restore some of the locks, the locktenders house, etc. They didn't start soon enough as so much as been destroyed.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: